quote

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir, 1913

Saturday, December 28, 2013

New Year and a New Me?

I have started this post several times then deleted every word every time. I've started off each time from a different angle but the whole post was going to say the same thing. I guess you could say it's about New Years resolutions but I didn't want it to be classified as such... but it is what it is.  

This coming year, 2014, I hope to change the way I eat.  There. I've said it.

I have done a lot of reading lately that suggests (and I had already read this years ago so it wasn't really "news") that gluten and leaky gut are causes of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) which I have been living with for almost 8 years now and other autoimmune diseases. The Dude and I  were practically vegetarian (lacto) recently but somehow meat has pried it's way back into our diets.  I have a hard time digesting meats but sometimes I really enjoy eating it which of course makes it a little hard to give up.  During Summertime there's nothing quite like a burger hot off the grill is there? And when The Dude takes me out to dinner I often get a nice steak or chicken in pasta.  There's another weakness of mine: pasta.  In fact, I have a love-hate relationship with all breads and pastas. I love them and they love my stomach and thighs which in turn makes me hate them. They're also loaded with gluten. The eating plan I am going to try and follow is high in protein and has NO gluten which translates into me eating lots of meats and no breads, crackers, cookies, or pastas. 

Rats.  I really REALLY like pasta. But I hate pain more than I love pasta. The trick will be to keep reminding myself that when I want to cave and eat some. Will power is key. Self-discipline. 
 
Can I do it?

Will I do it?

I say yes to the first but "I'm not sure" to the second.  I've never been one to follow through with anything but if I can just stay disciplined enough to make it until I can FEEL RESULTS... then that will be proof enough and I would THINK motivation enough to keep going and make it a lifelong change.

I'm not out to lose weight (I weigh somewhere around 127 or 128 lbs and I am 5' 5.5" tall.): I'm out to get healthy and to lose PAIN. 

Now... pain.  I'm not sure how much of the pain I'm feeling these days is due to inflammation or active RA. I know that some of it is caused from the deterioration of cartilage in my joints (wrists and elbows especially) but I would like new xrays just to SEE and hopefully one day compare to later xrays taken after I'm eating better and feeling better.

Rheumy doc appt is set for New Years Eve. I've asked him before of his opinion on the gluten causing or affecting RA. His opinion was that he's seen studies that suggest it could and others that say it could not. Wouldn't it be awesome to have him (he's at Vanderbilt University Hospital by the way...so I think he must be pretty good) document my diet change and xrays and have record of my history of meds andd other treatment.  This is the plan.

New Years day is just a day that happens to be coming up soon (and I'm anxious to get started) and (this is the MAIN reason) it's a SUPER easy day for me to remember!  If I were to begin the changes on, say, January 13th for example... it's just another day and has no special meaning to me so I would therefore never remember it.  I could start on one of our family's birthdays but THIS IS COMING UP SOON (and I'm anxious to get started). ;-)

So, there we go.  Not really homestead related except that soon I hope to once again be eating eggs from my own chickens again as well as my dairy coming from a new goat or two. ;o)

Guess I'd better get to planning!  Happy Homesteading!

No comments:

Post a Comment